Although, sometimes I don't know what to believe.
My boss actually said something to me today about Thabang. She said she'd gotten complaints from people about how I'd been acting with him, particularly the "incident" over the weekend. She specifically said that no one had anything against us being together, but that I need to act "professional" at all times. I told her that I never do anything more in public that what she and her husband do, and that I wouldn't be ashamed to act the same way in front of my own parents that I act when I'm walking around campus with Thabang on the weekends. Apparently whoever complained to Sunel made it sound like we were on top of each other or something when really all we did was kiss. And not even like full-tongue-kissing either. And she, not being witness to any events and having my word versus someone else's, we're kind of at a stalemate. I said that I'd try to be more conscientious about my public displays of affection towards my boyfriend on the weekends, but that I didn't believe I did anything wrong. It pretty much ended there.
That part of it, anyway. Apparently also some of the male staff are uncomfortable with how revealing some of my clothing is. This is laughable. Before I got here, I specifically asked if there was any formal dress code, and I was told that there wasn't, but that most people dress "neat casual" bearing in mind that most buildings aren't air-conditioned and it's freaking hot down here. 85% of my skirts/dresses end above my knee, but I don't wear anything incredibly short into the office. Shit, there are men here who wear shorter shorts than I do on a daily basis. My response to this was that I don't wear anything too revealing to the office and that how I dress on weekends is my own business. I told her that I asked about a dress code before I came here, and given what I was told about the weather and the office environment, I packed what I thought was appropriate. I told her straight up that I'm not going to do anything about how I dress, because the clothes that I brought with me are the clothes that I am going to wear. I'm not going out to buy more clothing and I'm not going to wear the same three outfits all the time.
I know it sounds like I'm being cheeky here, but I didn't do anything wrong. There are no formal rules against anything that people personally dislike about how I act. As a person, I try not to piss people off, so I can't imagine why anyone would have anything against me and just make things up/over-react to get me in trouble. A few of my friends down here that I've talked to tell me that the only plausible answer is racism, but I really hesitate to accuse people of that outside the heat of the confrontation. My position here is temporary anyway. It's not like how I act for the next month will really make a Hell of a lot of difference in the overall scheme of things. I'm still working my ass off at the library, and doing a damn good job there too. So it's not like someone's got a problem with my work ethic and are just trying to find other faults with me. I just don't know anymore what to think.
Fuck it. Whatever. I'm not going to let it bother me. People will always talk and over-react and get upset over nothing. I'm just going to ignore the whole thing and keep doing what I'm doing, because I'm not doing anything wrong, and if people have a problem with it, then they can shove it. I know for a fact that I put my all and then some into my work here, and that's what matters. Anything outside of that isn't important. People can't find faults with my job performance, so they have to complain about something else.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

"People will always talk and over-react and get upset over nothing."
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister.
Angie, People will always say what they want, form thier own opinions and think thier word is God. Everyone's been through it and it can be very hurtful. Hang in there and be true to what you believe in...try to enjoy your last few weeks there.......ter
ReplyDelete