Thursday, March 11, 2010

I can save your life...theoretically

The library here is one of the first aid stations on campus, and when they offered staff the option to attend a first-aid course, I jumped at the chance. I might as well know how to use it, ne? Besides, being so far away from any kind of hospital facility, knowing basic first aid might just make the difference between life and death in an emergency out here. I hope I never have to use it, but it's good to know just in case. It was all day for two days, combining theory and practice, and I feel better knowing at least something.

This week I went to Welverdiend with Jeremiah, our community outreach director, to take photos and to assess the current state of several local schools we work with, and to meet with the people in charge of those schools and with a non-profit to discuss the possibilities of partnering to improve the infrastructure of these local schools. I really feel like I need more time here to actually get anything done on these major projects.

I've also been cataloging books and reports like nobody's business, to the point where I may run out of labels and book covers soon (we've already ordered more, but Lord knows when they'll arrive).

Can I just say, I hate office politics? Because I do. I'm not really going to get into it here, but sometimes people are really childish in the workplace.

Completely unrelated, but because everyone's been asking, here's a picture of me and Thabang (although it's not a very good one):

5 comments:

  1. howdy kiddo
    nice pic of you and Thabang, office/work politics are everywhere, just gotta deal with it i guess.
    catch ya later
    love daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey angie. so, he's not bad looking. now i can't tell from the picture, so is his hair like held back with something or does he have corn rows, i probably spelled that wrong, but you know i can't spell. also, wow is he tall, what's his height anyway. ttyl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a nice picture...i don't know what you think makes it bad...also not gonna lie, maybe you have darkened your skin a little since being in africa,maybe not, but he makes you look like casper! completely random, but i bought some peeps to save for you since you won't be home for easter...is there any other easter candy you want me to pick up and save? let me know if your package ever arrives, i am curious to see how long it takes. and there is always something about working that is going to bother you, don't let it get to you too badly.
    rin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy,
    He's got dread-locks actually, and in this picture they're held back by an elastic.

    Rin,
    Yeah, I'm tan, but he's black, so I'm still white. And Cadbury Cream Eggs, please? Thank you! And I hope it gets here before I leave. Heheh. Don't want to get excited for nothing.

    Daddy,
    Yeah, I know, but that doesn't mean that I have to like them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got your package Corrina! Thank you! :D
    Sending it via the USPS rather than courier meant I didn't have to deal with customs at all and it actually got here faster. How silly. Thanks again! It really put a smile on my face during an otherwise shitty day.

    ReplyDelete